New FINS websites, Valentine Slim performs Memorial Day
Greetings, RCP members! This is your News of the Week. There’s a lot going on, so let’s dive right in …
Work continues on the pool grounds … This week we focused on improved grading to help mitigate standing water. Sod is being/was laid on Wednesday to the areas that needed the most work. We are also extending the fence of the baby pool to include the grass area out back. Georgetown Aquatics began adding our “swim” water back to the pool. With that said, we still have a lot of loose ends to tie up before we open and it’s very likely we’ll push our opening to Friday, May 24. We’ll make the official call next week after we evaluate what else needs to be done after this weekend.
If you are a FINS swim or dive family … Be sure to log into their new websites. The teams are now at rockcreekswim.swimtopia.com and rockcreekdive.swimtopia.com, respectively. Also, we’ve standardized our email addresses for each group of reps and coaches. Here’s how you reach them:
- Swim reps Geoff Plague and Fred Baechli = firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swim coach Katherine Karson = email@example.com
- Dive reps Dawn Moffitt and Katie McGervey = firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dive coach Patrick Meck = email@example.com
Don’t forget, registration for both teams is happening now. Visit their sites to sign up!
Deep-water aerobics registration is almost closed … Session One of the water aerobics classes is SOLD OUT! Session Two (July 16-Aug-6) has only a few spots left. So don’t delay if you were thinking of attending! Sign up!
Memorial Day Monday will be a full-day event this year … Along with the morning volleyball tournament and afternoon BBQ, we’re thrilled to have honky-tonk rocker Valentine Slim closing out the day on the Pavilion Stage. Slim and the boys will perform rockabilly, country and surf classics and forgotten gems. It’s a perfect soundtrack for the start of summer. His dynamic show will run from 4-7 p.m. We’ll offer $5 bottomless cup for beer/wine, so bring your dinner and enjoy the music!
Speaking of Memorial Day, we need you! … As with all of our RCP events, we can’t pull it off without members giving us a hand. Please review the volunteer sign-up form and commit an hour or two of your day to help us out. We need grillers, servers, preppers and clean-up … “crew-ers.”
The social calendar is nearly set … We’re putting the final touches on the 2019 social event poster (look for it on the cork board by the water fountain). The SC crew (Kelly Briscoe, Joel Rubin, Kate Elliott, Bryan McCann, Andrew Collard and yours truly) hope there’s a little something for everyone. For the start of the season, here’s a brief rundown so you can save the dates:
- Monday, May 27 — BBQ and Live Music with Valentine Slim
- Saturday, June 1 — Move Night and Happy Hour
- Friday, June 7 — Trivia Night
- Friday, June 14 — School’s Out Ice Cream Social
- Saturday, June 22 — Karaoke!
Photographers needed … I’d like to add a little visual flair to these emails and highlight the fun atmosphere at Rock Creek Pool. If you are a photo-bug and want to share an RCP moment — FINS in action, an idyllic summer day, karaoke shenanigans, lallygagging in the baby pool — email a copy to me. I’ll try and use as many as I receive. Here are a few guidelines:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Horizontal (landscape) orientation is best
- Make sure to give the photographer full name credit.
- Describe the subject in the photo (“here’s a shot of Jane Smith dancing at last night’s Valentine Slim show, which was awesome, by the way.”)